Headaches are a pain. They can make using a computer and working more difficult by stealing your focus and energy. Headaches affect up 45 million Americans, that's one in six, making them a highly prevalent problem.
Try these 20 different methods to prevent headaches at home and at work:
1. Take a break
"Many people are very busy and are reluctant to take the time, but if you consider the tradeoff of spending 10 minutes to close the blinds, lie down, and relax when you feel a headache forming, that might be better use of your time than being incapacitated later on after it gets worse. - Elizabeth Loder, MD, chief of the headache and pain division at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and President of the American Headache Society.
2. Eat frequent meals
3. Maintain good posture and move frequently
4. Be consistent with your routine
5. Get 6-8 hours of sleep per night.
6. Drink recommended amounts of water to prevent dehydration.
7. Manage your stress in a positive way.
8. Avoid food and situations that trigger your headaches.
9. Drink alcohol in moderation to prevent dehydration.
10. Minimize your caffeine intake.
11. Ice your neck or forehead.
12. Take a hot shower.
13. Get a massage.
"2010 Spanish study found that patients with recurring tension headaches reported better psychological states, reduced stress, and fewer symptoms within 24 hours after receiving a 30-minute massage." - ABC News
14. Try acupuncture.
15. Get your eyes checked.
16. Watch your weight.
"We also know that being obese can turn episodic headaches into chronic headaches." - Mark W. Green, MD, director of the Center for Headache and Pain Medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City